Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Unforgettable...

I have noticed something in my visits with hospice patients who have dementia. There is one thing that will often get a reaction out of them when nothing else will and that is to sing "Jesus Loves Me" to them. Often, dementia patients who can't put together a coherent thought much less a sentence will join me in singing the entire song. It's a beautiful thing.

Jesus loves me, this I know.
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to him belong
they are weak, but He is strong.
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.

Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I remember a group of us in seminary made several visits with patients in an Alzheimers care facility just to visit and sing with them. I was always touched at the way the church songs from their youth would draw a connection to them and get them singing along.

    Faith is that deep root that connects us to God and one another.

    Peace and blessings.

    p.s. Glad to see you back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you stopped by Suzanne, how are you feeling? Betty Ryan has been attending AUMC lately with a few others. They said to say Hi and they miss you.

    ReplyDelete